Veterinary doctors of Amul Dairy were recently shocked when they recently treated an ailing cow who was sick for a fortnight. The shocking thing was that they found 20 kgs of garbage including plastic bags and metal wires inside the stomach of the cow. A cattle rearer from Kavitha village of Borsad taluka of Anand referred the ailing bovine.
The cow was all bloated up and had stopped her food intake since last 20 days. “The animal was referred to us with the complaint that it was off feed. After I checked the cow, I suspected that there should be some foreign body inside its stomach because of which it would have not consumed any food,” said Dr Mohsin Vahora, a veterinary doctor, who is working with Amul Dairy for past 14 years.
“When we performed rumenotomy, we were surprised that there was around 20 kg plastic bags along with metal wire which we surgically removed from the stomach of the animal. A cow has four parts of stomach of which rumen is a major part,” said Vahora.
The vet believes that such plastic consumption has not occurred overnight. “Once an animal consumes such things, it starts feeling the pain and because of the stomach – ache, its entire digestive system get disturbed.”